26 April 2009

Do Good and Love God, Part 4

Jacob, brother of Nephi, again taught the importance of Isaiah (at his brother's suggestion), "I will read you the words of Isaiah.... And I speak unto you for your sakes, that ye may learn and glorify the name of your God" (2 Ne. 6:4). From the prophecies of Isaiah we learn the name of our God but more importantly we learn to glorify His name. What is the name of our God? Jehovah, who was born into this world in a humble manger. Jesus Christ is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He is the God of the Old Testament. He is our Savior and Redeemer. He is the Son of the Eternal Father. While Jesus and Heavenly Father are distinct personages, They are one in purpose and one in power. "The members of the Godhead are infinitely more one than separate, they just happen to be separate beings" (Robert L. Millet, 1998, heard in class at BYU).

Jacob continued, "And now, the words which I shall read are they which Isaiah spake concerning all the house of Israel; wherefore, they may be likened unto you, for ye are of the house of Israel" (2 Nephi 6:5). We too, as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are of the house of Israel and can liken the words of Isaiah to ourselves. Nephi loved Isaiah's words, "I, Nephi, write more of the words of Isaiah, for my soul delighteth in his words. For I will liken is words unto my people, and I will send them forth unto all my children, for he verily saw my Redeemer, even as I have seen him.... Whoso of my people shall see these words may lift up their hearts and rejoice for all men." (2 Nephi 11:2,8). There are many more references to the words of Isaiah being great (see 2 Ne. 25:1; 2 Ne. 25:4-7). The Savior, after His resurrection, commanded the people of Nephi to read and study Isaiah's words.

Jesus taught, "Ye remember that I spake unto you, and said that when the words of Isaiah should be fulfilled - behold they are written, ye have them before you, therefore search them" (3 Ne. 20:11). Again he commanded, "And now, behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah" (3 Ne. 23:1). We must not only search Isaiah's words but also search them diligently.

Link to part 3 of this essay.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin